September 10, 2012 in Our Travels
Picking a destination
When there are lots of places in the world you wouldn’t mind seeing, it’s difficult to pick and choose which destinations to visit first. I suppose it all depends on what interests you the most. Australia & Tallinn are good for us, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’d enjoy it quite like we do/did.
Base your decision making on a few factors:
- Which places do you absolutely need to see with your own eyes before you die? They should be at the top of your list, so when you’re done with binguez for the night, you can get on with booking.
- What would be easier for you to do at the age you are? For example, if you’re in your 20s and want to go to destinations with great water sports activities, it might be an idea to make it a priority. If your of a slightly older persuasion then you may like a more relaxed trip.
- Will you be with anyone else on your travels? You have to take into account what they want too. If you agree on everything, congratulations, but bear in mind that you will tend to have to compromise.
- Ease of access might adapt your choices. For example, some countries have easier requirements than others when entering the country. There are visas that need to be sorted months in advance etc. We arranged our Australian visa’s as soon as we had booked the flights & they are valid for a year so that covered our travels nicely, plus we didn’t forget to sort them out!
- Make sure you do your research when compiling your list, so that the order you do things in has been determined through knowledge. We planned our trip using certain places we wanted to go to & then filling in the gap’s along the way.
- How long are planning to go away for? If you want to spend longer than a two to three week period in another country, then it might be an idea for you to plan ahead with your work commitments and go for an extended period of time. Ian gave his company 18 months notice of our trip so they could train someone to do his job for him. I was ok!
- We’ve already started planning our next trip, hotel’s are noted, flights are provisionally worked out & a destination map has been sketched out!
Now roll on March when they release the flights!
This is a sponsored post.