Spicy Bacon, Cheese and Spring Onion Scones
I spotted a recipe the other day for some savoury scones with spring onions and cheese in and decided as normal to adapt them in my own imaginative way!
So mine became spicy bacon, cheese and spring onion scones.
450g Self raising flour, sieved.
½ tsp Salt,
2 tsp Paprika
150g Butter in chunks,
6 rashers of Bacon, chopped.
6 Spring Onions, chopped.
1 clove of Garlic, crushed.
150g Cheese grated (I used a strong cheddar to mix in and then Parmesan to put on the top which is extra to this),
120-150ml Milk, plus extra for the top.
- Chop the bacon and fry till crispy, once it’s removed from the heat add the crushed garlic and leave to cool.
- Put the flour, salt, paprika and cubes of butter into a large bowl and rub together so you end up with bread crumbs.
- Add the cheese and the bacon and garlic mixture and give a gentle toss.
- Add 120ml of milk, initially, you can add more as needed. The mixture should hold together, but be too dry, or too sticky!
- I didn’t use a rolling pin, I just pressed the mixture out before using a cutter, I actually made 18 from my mix, but that was using a medium to small cutter.
- Once they are all on the backing tray, brush with the extra milk and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
My oven is temperamental so I guess 180° would be about right.
They take around 12 minutes to cook.
The smell as they were cooking was amazing…………. the scones came out so light and fluffy, I even impressed myself!
Now they have got a kick, so if you don’t like them as spicy then reduce the amount of paprika, but use your own judgement.
Most of all ………….